Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: To create a TV show......

To create a TV show...... 3 years 6 months ago #11731

Hello all Nanjing expats!

We are independent film producers in Nanjing and are trying to create a TV series portraying the lives of expats in Nanjing. It will be a drama focusing on the lives of a few main characters who make up a small clique, and will be 100% from the expats' angle. The project will be a pioneer in China's media market, different from all the cliches and stereotypes about expats and expat communities made by Chinese producers. We want to show our audience a more accurate picture of expat lives.

If this sounds like something you may be interested in, please join us! You are welcome to be involved in any aspect of this TV show's production, including script writing, editing, and acting. We have got all the necessary equipments and crew on production. The stage is built, waiting for you to perform!

Leave a message or email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by intheoffing.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: To create a TV show...... 3 years 6 months ago #11754

It seems in a few month a few hundred million thrilled chinese people will sit in front of their TV's waiting for the new episode of

"Jimmy's Dirty Dozend"- The real life of foreigner's in China

featuring (names are completely fictionous)

Brenton, Ramil, Furn, Jimmy, Leeproy, Bessica, Ben, Cherry, PJ and a lot more different characters from all over the world.

I guess that will be a show that is not suitable for young kinds :-)
  • Bjoern
  • Photographer
  • Love what you do and do who you love
  • Thank you received: 7

Re: To create a TV show...... 3 years 6 months ago #11758

intheoffing wrote:
The project will be a pioneer in China's media market, different from all the cliches and stereotypes about expats and expat communities made by Chinese producers. We want to show our audience a more accurate picture of expat lives.

Accuracy? Will you cover darker aspects of expat life as well? For example, can you devote an episode to an old American alcoholic kindergarten teacher who spends his evenings drinking jinjiu and frequenting pink houses?

If so I might have an actor you would be interested in.
Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Samwise Gamgee.

Re: To create a TV show...... 3 years 6 months ago #11761

Samwise Gamgee wrote:
intheoffing wrote:
The project will be a pioneer in China's media market, different from all the cliches and stereotypes about expats and expat communities made by Chinese producers. We want to show our audience a more accurate picture of expat lives.

Accuracy? Will you cover darker aspects of expat life as well? For example, can you devote an episode to an old American alcoholic kindergarten teacher who spends his evenings drinking jinjiu and frequenting pink houses?

If so I might have an actor you would be interested in.

Well if it's for Chinese audiences of course they won't be making films of drunken foreign sex maniacs. I think it's a good idea.

Do you guys have funding for this or is it just for fun? What is your distribution plan, Youku and Youtube, or something else?
  • ProTeacher
  • Aristocrat
  • Thank you received: 2

Re: To create a TV show...... 3 years 6 months ago #11770

Guys, I think someone's taking the piss. The original post has "beware" written all over it. A TV show about Nanjing expats? Oh, really? For what audience? Let me guess: they're looking for investors.
  • Jenny Zee

Re: To create a TV show...... 3 years 6 months ago #11772

Jenny Zee wrote:
Guys, I think someone's taking the piss. The original post has "beware" written all over it. A TV show about Nanjing expats? Oh, really? For what audience? Let me guess: they're looking for investors.

You might be right Jenny Zee. HN tried a couple of video episodes last year (reality series with a comedy twist), they were well-received, but I learned that producing films (even small guerilla ones like we did) takes a lot of energy and resources.

In the end, we found that the cost of making the videos (in terms of time and energy mainly) wasn't worth the payoff, which was basically people saying: "Hey, neat video."

Check them out here if you're interested:

* Brent as Brent: a Metal Tiger Future
* Brent as Brent: in touch with the Zodiac

Anyway, I hope the OP and his team achieve their goal with this project, best of luck guys!
  • Anil
  • Alpha male
  • Thank you received: 24
Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Anil.

Re: To create a TV show...... 3 years 6 months ago #11781

1. No, we are not looking for investors, not from here. We have got the funds for this project.

We look for people who get the talents and interests. You don't have to be a professional writer or actor to join us.

2. Yes we will cover the dark aspects. Barfly lifestyle, sex maniacs, weed business, prostitution. we cover them all, but they won't be the main themes. There are also bright and neutral aspects in your life, aren't they ?

Here, 'accuracy' means no more dehumanized portraits on expats, like those ' i love China' or ' I love Chinese culture' kinds of homogenized illustration as the image of expats. Expats are also people.

3. We won't distribute the TV series through video-sharing websites. We have close relations with Nanjing's local media, such as xici and yangtse, so it will be much better to work with one of them.

4. The setting of this show is in Nanjing, but the drama is not meant to portray a true picture of Nanjing's expat community. If something happens in a night club in Beijing or Shenzhen, we can make it 'happens' in castle bar. After all, it's a drama.

Re: To create a TV show...... 3 years 6 months ago #11795

intheoffing wrote:
1. No, we are not looking for investors, not from here. We have got the funds for this project.

We look for people who get the talents and interests. You don't have to be a professional writer or actor to join us.

2. Yes we will cover the dark aspects. Barfly lifestyle, sex maniacs, weed business, prostitution. we cover them all, but they won't be the main themes. There are also bright and neutral aspects in your life, aren't they ?

Here, 'accuracy' means no more dehumanized portraits on expats, like those ' i love China' or ' I love Chinese culture' kinds of homogenized illustration as the image of expats. Expats are also people.

3. We won't distribute the TV series through video-sharing websites. We have close relations with Nanjing's local media, such as xici and yangtse, so it will be much better to work with one of them.

4. The setting of this show is in Nanjing, but the drama is not meant to portray a true picture of Nanjing's expat community. If something happens in a night club in Beijing or Shenzhen, we can make it 'happens' in castle bar. After all, it's a drama.

Questions:

1. Since this is a funded commercial project, are you offering pay for those who contribute?

2. Since this will be shown on Chinese channels, will those who are involved need to speak Chinese?

3. It sounds like a very interesting project.

4. What stuff has your team produced so far? Does your team have a website that I can refer to?
  • Naboo
Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Naboo.

Re: To create a TV show...... 3 years 6 months ago #11798

Ah great, another "monkey show"! Watch the foreign monkeys jump through hoops. I bet there is a Chinese crowd that would love to see foreign monkeys perform. Seriously, I have a strong feeling that this is not only for 'amusement' but also to somehow depict a dodgy image of foreigners.

What is wrong with the CCTV 9 style image of the foreigner that actually enjoys the culture and the language. I have heard of those shows before and I was always skeptical, especially since most of them say its like "reality TV" and mostly stage stories to somehow paint a dodgy image. Somehow similar to Hong Kong bad boy movies, there is always the cliche foreigner that behaves odd and plain wrong.

Re: To create a TV show...... 3 years 6 months ago #11807

intheoffing wrote:

You sure these themes are going to be approved by the Nanjing local media groups that you will be working with?
  • Keyser Soze
  • Kingpin
  • Thank you received: 34

Re: To create a TV show...... 3 years 6 months ago #11813

intheoffing wrote:

We are independent film producers in Nanjing and are trying to create a TV series portraying the lives of expats in Nanjing. It will be a drama focusing on the lives of a few main characters who make up a small clique, and will be 100% from the expats' angle. The project will be a pioneer in China's media market, different from all the cliches and stereotypes about expats and expat communities made by Chinese producers. We want to show our audience a more accurate picture of expat lives.

If this sounds like something you may be interested in, please join us! You are welcome to be involved in any aspect of this TV show's production, including script writing, editing, and acting. We have got all the necessary equipments and crew on production. The stage is built, waiting for you to perform!

Leave a message or email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

This has dodge written all over it. OP has funding, but is looking for volunteers
Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Bottoms Up.

Re: To create a TV show...... 3 years 6 months ago #11820

This sounds like a horrible idea..yes belittle yourself so others can make money off of you and do stupid shit when your drunk so not only the people at the bar can see, but everyone else (i.e bosses, coworkers, friends, random people starring at you even more on the street, people who are affiliated with your work (customers, parents). Classic idea. :dunno:
  • tonz.olracid
  • 43770.. guess this doesnt work w/o a calculator

Re: To create a TV show...... 3 years 6 months ago #11821

I think the basic idea is a soap-opera not a documentary. So more or less you will face the same attention as any other laowai showing up in chinese television. :grin:

Do you really think you coworkers think that this is your real life if they see you in a TV series...the only thing i wonder about is who will have time for this beside a regular working schedule
  • Bjoern
  • Photographer
Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Bjoern.

Re: To create a TV show...... 3 years 6 months ago #11845

I don't know Bjoern, many expats work as teachers and teachers' schedules are pretty light; they could easily find the time to help out with the production.

IF everything about this project were on the level (in terms of their treatment/presentation of the characters and the subject matter), then they still have to curtail the final product to please the sponsors. I'm betting that even an expat-centric look at life in Nanjing wouldn't air without adverts, and that whatever footage was included in the final product had to coincide with the image that the sponsors want from their paid hour or half-hour of TV time.

Wouldn't it be easier to just approach foreigners about appearing in the adverts themselves?

Re: To create a TV show...... 3 years 6 months ago #11847

Bjoern wrote:
It seems in a few month a few hundred million thrilled chinese people will sit in front of their TV's waiting for the new episode of

Brenton, Ramil, Furn, Jimmy, Leeproy, Bessica, Ben, Cherry, PJ and a lot more different characters from all over the world.

dude thats hella obvious...
  • Jessica
  • Socialite
  • Jessica
  • Thank you received: 1

Re: To create a TV show...... 3 years 6 months ago #11850

Perhaps you should clarify exactly what it is you are trying to create, because you are sending out completely mixed messages here.
You talk about accuracy and then say you can change things and make things appear to happen in Castle Bar or somewhere else.
You talk about accuracy and then go on to say it's a drama after all.

Are you after drama, fiction, accuracy, documentary, what ?
  • Gordon
  • Consultant
  • Thank you received: 11

Re: To create a TV show...... 3 years 6 months ago #11856

I think he has said it pretty clearly: a TV drama that reflects the real life of expats living in Nanjing. He wants to have a group of main characters who can well represent the community. At this moment, he only has a blur picture without any detailed plans, --- no scripts, no setting, no director, no actors.

My suggestinos is that, since you've already got the investor, and with the fact that you might not understand the entertainment business conducts in China well enough, you may want to talk to someone who is in the business first. I happen to have couple friends who are directors/producers of TV shows in China. They probably can point out some pot-holes on your road map, even may help you build a better plan.

Re: To create a TV show...... 3 years 6 months ago #11857

Jessica wrote:
Bjoern wrote:

dude thats hella obvious...

No No No, you got that totally on the wrong side. :grin:

Bessica is a new chick in town. She grew up in China as daughter of an american couple, she is very tall and has blond hair but due to the fact that she grew up in China she talks in chinese all the time. And everybody is hella confused because she looks like a foreigner. A CGA (Chinese-grown-up-American)

... i hope i dont get in trouble for that one :ohnoes:
  • Bjoern
  • Photographer

Re: To create a TV show...... 3 years 6 months ago #11872

Bjoern we'll talk about this later...
  • Jessica
  • Socialite
  • Jessica
  • Thank you received: 1

Re: To create a TV show...... 3 years 6 months ago #11889

quite some cynical guys here.

it's NOT a volunteer work. everyone gets paid and we are aware that a decent payment is vital to keep everything running.

it's not a commercial show either. we do have to include some ads (only to cover the costs) but nobody gets rich out of this project and nobody gets ripped off. as soon as you are on board you have access to all the info, so you can read the budget and you know where the money comes from and where it goes.

as i said from the very begining, it will be an independent tv series and we broadcast it through internet, though not on a video-sharing website. yes we will collaborate with a local media, but the premise of any kind of collaboration is we have to keep an independent status.

we do have a script and we plan to make 2 to 3 episode per month, so we must get new ideas. the 'monkey show' idea is a good one illustrating the reality about how Chinese people ( some of them) treat foreigners. we can make more than one episode out of it. In our show, each character has his/her own personality and life and they can think and judge like adults. for example, they teach english and they find out the 'monkey show' reality and they react on this. thus, the tv series itself is NOT a monkey show and is intended to blow off this type of cognition on expats.

about 'accuracy'. let me still take the 'monkey show' idea as an example. for Cat Master, maybe he has got this type of shits in suzhou or beijing, and in the plot of our show we will say it happens in nanjing, as the setting is in nanjing. the show is not going to record what actually happens in nanjing's expat community. it will simply reflect expats' lives in China.

too many news reports and shows involve scenes of sex workers, alcoholics, drug users/dealers. why make a big fuss about them?

when you shoot a scene of women having babies, you just don't have to include features of a dilated vagina with a baby's head stuck in there.
  • Page:
Moderators: mach5
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds

Site activity

2 users and 303 guests online