Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Martial arts/ Kung fu Schools

Martial arts/ Kung fu Schools 3 years 9 months ago #7258

Just arrived in Nanjing and keen to start any martial arts!

Would particularly like to do some Chinese ones- Mantis Kung-fu, Taichi, Bagua Palm, WingChun, Baji, Qigong...

But failing that boxing, kickboxing, or whatever

I cant speak Mandarin yet, but that will come. I dont necessarily need classes in English.

Can anyone help me find somewhere to study?

Thanks in advance
  • magnate
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Martial arts/ Kung fu Schools 3 years 8 months ago #9034

Hello out there,

same for me. I'll arrive the 22nd of august. I've trained Taekwon-Do for 13years, thus I'd either like to continue with that :) Or start something new, like Kung-Fu in Nanjnng.

So what do I search?

Preferably a very good gym (inkl. spa, sauna etc), maybe with tennis / squash courts, and within there Kung-Fu or Taekwon-Do courses offered. That would be really great !

Regards!
Micha
  • kreislauf

Re:Martial arts/ Kung fu Schools 3 years 8 months ago #9035

wu tai shan is the place i hear for squash courts although they are pretty expensive, think they have tennis courts as well.
there is a big orange building in xin jie kou (sorry dont know the name but its pretty distinct) they also have a pool in there. along the side..i think its the 7th floor (could be wrong on the floor number) there is a kick boxing studio. went there last year with the kids for summer camp so we only did the kick boxing but there could be more martial arts based things.
good luck
  • monkeynuts
  • Artist
  • Thank you received: 2

Re:Martial arts/ Kung fu Schools 3 years 8 months ago #9036

if push comes to shove you guys can maybe use that big orange building for the space and spar each other. i guess the kick boxing guys could also know more people...
  • monkeynuts
  • Artist

Re:Martial arts/ Kung fu Schools 3 years 8 months ago #9162

Yes, the building on zhong shan dong lu. Halfway between the xinjiekou stop and da xing gong stop. Its huge and orange as mentioned.

They have a karate studio and a taekwondo studio. Dont go into the main entrance, but the small one off to the right side. Im not sure which floor, but check out the directory on the bottom floor.

Taekwondo is popular here because its popular with kids mostly. Taiji and Kungfu tends to be older folks. Most universities have some kind of club or classes also.

In the same building is 3 gyms that I know of. None with tennis or squash. You would probably need to check out wu tai shan sports center for those. (Also mentioned above)
  • mach5
  • Thank you received: 53
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by mach5.

Re:Martial arts/ Kung fu Schools 3 years 8 months ago #9163

About the OP.

I wonder about asking around the neighborhoods. If you can find a chinese friend to help translate, there are a ton of "older" folk usually sitting around where people live. Ive found them to be a surprising source of information about whats going on around. I guess they have lots of time to gossip and watch people come and go. They might know if there is anyone teaching at one of the parks in your area too.
  • mach5
  • Thank you received: 53

Re:Martial arts/ Kung fu Schools 3 years 8 months ago #9297

3F, No.166, Zhong Shan Bei Lu

You can take a look there and talk to the coach. Traditional Chinese KongFu is taught there, not Chinese KongFu dance :-)
  • chihan

Re: Martial arts/ Kung fu Schools 3 years 6 months ago #12089

Hi everybody, my name is Carl Ashton and I have been a professional martial instructor for 6 years. I noticed that a lot of parents have many concerns before bringing their kids to a martial art/karate class. I am trying very hard to put together a report to address any issues or questions that parents have about getting there kids involved in martial arts. If you would like to help me, please fill out this one question survey http://tinyurl.com/karate4kids. I would be very grateful for your help. Thank you!!

Carl Ashton
http://members.flycatchergenerator.com
Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by carlashton09.

Re: Martial arts/ Kung fu Schools 3 years 6 months ago #12113

best of luck with your project Carl. I filled in your short survey and I hope it helps. Would be cool if anyone else could help out.
  • Patric
  • Aristocrat
  • Thank you received: 5

Re: Martial arts/ Kung fu Schools 3 years 3 months ago #16591

hello everybody! just to let everyone who has any interest in martial arts, one of my friend just opened a Kung Fu School in Nanjing.
He studied Kung Fu in the Shaolin Temple for over 10 years, so we can say that he is a true Kung Fu Master.
Anyway, here below is his adv:

White Cloud Kung Fu is headed by 25-year-old Shi JianHu, who trained for over 10 years at the world famous Shaolin WuShu Training Center located deep in the Song Mountains of China's Henan province.

Shi JianHu is now offering weekly classes to train students of all skill levels in the traditional art of Shaolin Kung Fu.

Classes include Qi Gong, forums, weapons and practical application. Don't miss this opportunity to:

Learn authentic Chinese martial arts
Cultivate body and mind
Relieve stress
Exercise

For further information about location and time, please call 150-5181-9715 or 159-9649-3275
  • beabea

Re: Martial arts/ Kung fu Schools 3 years 3 months ago #16595

That's great news! I studied Northern Shaolin for two years in the USA before starting my university studies. I've been working in Nanjing for a little more than a year and I'm looking for a place to get back into martial arts again. Please keep me updated :)

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Re: Martial arts/ Kung fu Schools 2 years 8 months ago #21781

Hey folks,

I run the only Brazilian Jiu Jitsu club in Nanjing. If anyone's interested then check out my profile or email:

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Thanks!

Fred

Re: Martial arts/ Kung fu Schools 2 years 8 months ago #21810

I have been going to Shi JianHu's kungfu classes since February.

My weight has plummeted and fitness and flexibility have increased by amounts I would have thought impossible. Give him a call - his English is good enough to arrange a demo class.

It's good Chinese practice too, as the classes are mixed Chinese/foreigner.

Plus, he'll teach you how to use nunchakus if you ask nicely, which comes in handy if you are a teacher.
  • D503

Re: Martial arts/ Kung fu Schools 2 years 2 months ago #24011

Hey there Carl Ashton! It was nice of you to address the concern of the parents. Keep doing good things buddy!
Kick boxing Classes

Re: Martial arts/ Kung fu Schools 1 year 8 months ago #25972

Hello ,thread is pretty old but I was kinda wondering if the wu tai shan kung fu classes are still on ???any idea anybody ??:huh: :dunno:
  • annie
  • Thank you received: 1
Moderators: mach5
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds

Site activity