Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Nanjing Open Chat

Discuss anything pertaining to international living in Nanjing.

TOPIC: Teaching in Nanjing

Teaching in Nanjing 3 years 8 months ago #8807

Does anybody know anything about teaching at Canadian International Academy on QingDao Road?

What is it like teaching in nanjing?

How are the students?

How does this school compare to Nanjing International and British international?
  • abbie
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Teaching in Nanjing 3 years 8 months ago #8809

Sorry dude, I've never heard about that one. But are your students Chinese or foreigners?
  • Jessica
  • Socialite
  • Jessica
  • Thank you received: 1

Re: Teaching in Nanjing 3 years 8 months ago #8813

They are chinese. Do you know if that is a good area to be in?
  • abbie

Re: Teaching in Nanjing 3 years 8 months ago #8814

abbie wrote:
They are chinese. Do you know if that is a good area to be in?

Yeah, Qing Dao Lu is a decent area to be in, pretty much smack bang in the centre of the city. Paste ????? into Google maps and you can see for yourself.

:)
  • Keyser Soze
  • Kingpin
  • Thank you received: 34

Re: Teaching in Nanjing 3 years 8 months ago #8817

dont know about the british international school but the nanjing international school (NIS) is really good. my mother used to work there. they dont teach chinese students and are a IB school and are even involved with the MUN. the canadian school i hear is quite good but not nearly in the same level as NIS. it is one of the better schools to work in nanjing and the salary is fairly high in comparison to most schools.
i found the students in nanjing (im generalizing here) are well behaved and eager to learn but have little to no imagination or initiative skills. also watch out for plagiarizing and cheating. good luck
  • monkeynuts
  • Artist
  • Thank you received: 2

Re: Teaching in Nanjing 3 years 8 months ago #8991

for the love of christ, don't do it

Re:Teaching in Nanjing 3 years 8 months ago #9001

yo teachin english be hella ill, just speak american and be chill

peace

dj snaz
join the nanjing freestyle rap n hard beats club so far we got me my boys fishsticks and tweet my man toby my dawg rivet and my humboy g-ice

Re: Teaching in Nanjing 3 years 8 months ago #9006

monkeynuts wrote:
dont know about the british international school but the nanjing international school (NIS) is really good. my mother used to work there. they dont teach chinese students and are a IB school and are even involved with the MUN. the canadian school i hear is quite good but not nearly in the same level as NIS. it is one of the better schools to work in nanjing and the salary is fairly high in comparison to most schools.
i found the students in nanjing (im generalizing here) are well behaved and eager to learn but have little to no imagination or initiative skills. also watch out for plagiarizing and cheating. good luck

I think you have a fair call here from Monkeynuts.
It's a good place, just make of it, what you personally make of it.
  • Gordon
  • Consultant
  • Thank you received: 11

Re: Teaching in Nanjing 3 years 5 months ago #14130

I've a number of friends who work at schools (including 'a' Canadian one - I assume there's only one, so it's probably the same one!) and one of my children goes to the British School. Like monkeynuts says, there's a big difference between Nanjing International School/The British School of Nanjing and others in Nanjing - in terms of pay, conditions, students, administration and holidays. The two international schools have imaginative students with initiative (as monkeynuts says the others don't). That said, the friend who works for the Canadian school moved there from another famous Nanjing language school and the working conditions are infinitely better.

Re: Teaching in Nanjing 3 years 5 months ago #14134

if you enjoy teaching in your home country..do not do it here, you will soon come to hate teaching, the adminstration, and anything that has the word teaching associated with it, the kids are sweet, fun, and cute but thats it...but thats just me.
  • tonz.olracid
  • 43770.. guess this doesnt work w/o a calculator

Re: Teaching in Nanjing 3 years 5 months ago #14140

Well I work at NIS and yes, it is great. What I can tell you is this... If the Canadian school is offering an international curriculum (and not just an English language school) then 99% of the students will be international as the Chinese government prohibits locals from attending international schools. There are a few exceptions to this rule.

Having said that, the majority of the students will be from other Asian countries. They are respectful and have a good work ethic (for the most part), but they are very quiet and require a lot of prodding to get their creative juices flowing.

Re: Teaching in Nanjing 3 years 5 months ago #14143

Think before you act.

Teaching is fundamentally challenging, teaching in random joint ventures is even more challenging.

Make sure you ask some serious questions before you put your John 'Splendid Teacher' henry on that piece of legally binding in China piece of paper.
  • brent
  • Hello Nanjing
  • Thank you received: 3

Re: Teaching in Nanjing 3 years 5 months ago #14153

This is quite an old thread, so here's the OP questions:
abbie wrote:
Does anybody know anything about teaching at Canadian International Academy on QingDao Road?

What is it like teaching in nanjing?

How are the students?

How does this school compare to Nanjing International and British international?

Any feedback Abbie?
  • Keyser Soze
  • Kingpin
  • Thank you received: 34
Moderators: mach5
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds

Site activity

Forum buzz

1 user and 209 guests online