Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Nanjing Open Chat

Discuss anything pertaining to international living in Nanjing.

TOPIC: What are your favourite Nanjing restaurants?

Re: What are your favourite Nanjing restaurants? 2 years 2 months ago #23763

Yummy Vietnamese place at the Nanjing traditional chinese medicine university, on han zhong men. Small place, a bit cold in the winter but great food. Pho noodle soup, chicken and pineapple fried rice, real deep fried spring rolls with sweet and spicy plum dipping sauce. (And english menus). One person can eat for 20 - 50 rmb.
  • mach5
  • Thank you received: 53
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: misspolitica

Re:What are your favourite Nanjing restaurants? 2 years 2 months ago #23766

It's interesting, a lot of Indian people I met all like Taj Mahal, but personally I prefer Himalaya too. Also because of the athmosphere there. There is also a little Punjabi place on Hunan Rd that I like.
  • Erik749
  • Thank you received: 15
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through

Re: What are your favourite Nanjing restaurants? 2 years 2 months ago #23767

Xinjiang is technically almost on the same level as Hong Kong and Taiwanese food, so IMHO not really Chinese. And looking at this list (Vietnam, Pizza, German, Indian, Xinjiang) the Chinese food is not really popular. Why?

There is an great noodle shop with lines outside waiting in Winter @lunchtime at a small road connected to fengfulu (second road to the left from KFC walking into fengfulu). I am always the only foreigner there.
  • gustaf

Re: What are your favourite Nanjing restaurants? 2 years 2 months ago #23770

gustaf wrote:
Xinjiang is technically almost on the same level as Hong Kong and Taiwanese food, so IMHO not really Chinese. And looking at this list (Vietnam, Pizza, German, Indian, Xinjiang) the Chinese food is not really popular. Why?
In my case, I eat Chinese food in the canteen at work every day. That, plus I don't yet speak or read Chinese. Yet, there are a couple of Chinese restaurants that I like very much, but I don't know any of their names (see previous point) -- only their general locations.

- The hot pot in original 1912.
- A restaurant near Fuzimiao (had English menus, and in fact called us in in English).
- A Hunan place near the Sugou at Jiangjun and Shengtai.

Not favorites, but maybe worth a look:
- Some fusion restaurant called Tacos at Aqua City. It's fusion, so maybe not strictly-speaking Chinese (despite the name, definitely not Mexican).
- A Chinese place on Shengtai, north side, across the access road to Baijiahu Lake.

I live in Jiangning, so I try to avoid going into the city as much as possible, otherwise I think I'd know a lot more. I'd probably have learned a lot more Chinese while I was at it!
  • balthisar
  • Aristocrat
  • Thank you received: 12

Re: What are your favourite Nanjing restaurants? 2 years 2 months ago #23771

Re: chinese food.

See the topic about cooking at home. I dont eat chinese food out that much anymore because of poor oil, massive amounts of oil, being served day olds, and huge amounts of MSG. Maybe I am not hitting the right places, but even most of the "better" places I have eatten chinese, it seems to be the same.

Dont get me wrong, I enjoy chinese food, but I prefer it home cooked. Either by myself, gf or friends. Although I do have a weakness for tong cu pai gu out and about, and sometimes the odd noodle place.

Seems like most "laowai" places generally dont use as much MSG or oil, and generally dont serve day olds that ive noticed. Its not about the "type" of food, so much as the quality and reliability of the food.
  • mach5
  • Thank you received: 53

Re: What are your favourite Nanjing restaurants? 2 years 2 months ago #23779

My favorites are:

Nanjing food: the xiaolongbao at the yaxue fensi tang place on Ninghai Lu, one block north of the Nanshida gate, Dapaidang (lots of dim sum and some traditional Nanjing food; a few locations, incl. Deji Plaza and Hunan Lu)

Chinese food: Yunnan Weidao on Guangzhou Lu, the shaokao on Fuyuan Lu near where I live in Hexi

Xinjiang: Aladdin's behind the Sheraton Hotel

Italian: Pisa Pizza on Shanghai Lu, Ciao Italia on Shigu Lu

Thai: Golden Harvest Thai (Shizi Qiao near Hunan Lu)

Indian: Taj Mahal (Fengfu Lu and Shanghai Lu)

Korean: Haoweilai (just off of Shanghai Lu, one block north of Hankou Lu, run by a nice Korean couple)

Vietnamese: Pho Saigon in Huanya Plaza on Shigu Lu

Hot pot: Haidilao (there are a few locations and they all get super crowded)

Sandwiches & bakery: Skyways (Shanghai Lu, Taiping Men, Xianlin)
  • sam
  • Thank you received: 3

Re: What are your favourite Nanjing restaurants? 2 years 2 months ago #23781

I looove the Japanese restaurant called "Ajisen Ramen". There are quite a few in Nanjing. Mhhh yummy noodle soups :yumyum:. I want one now!
  • Jule85

Re:What are your favourite Nanjing restaurants? 2 years 2 months ago #23784

misspolitica wrote:
Btw- if anyone can post an exact address or phone number for Vietnamese resto in Huanya plaza, I would really appreciate it!

It is at the crossing of fengfulu and shigulu. For taxi just say "fengfoeloe shhugoeloe kwai dien!" or from the Xinjiekou subway station take the Grand Ocean exit, walk around Grand Ocean to where Burger King is. Now across the road you can see KFC. That is the Huanya plaza building with on the second floor the Vietnamese restaurant. This BTW is probably the best restaurant of Nanjing.

After eating at this restaurant you can consider to go the downstairs Guruan (or garuan or whatever) HK desert shop. They have forest frog desert :yumyum:!
  • jaap
  • Thank you received: 1

Re: What are your favourite Nanjing restaurants? 2 years 2 months ago #23785

Jule85 wrote:
I looove the Japanese restaurant called "Ajisen Ramen". There are quite a few in Nanjing. Mhhh yummy noodle soups :yumyum:. I want one now!

Yes, these are really great! And with these noodles you can actually drink the soup without any side effects because they use purified water, and there is one in Huanya plaza.
  • jaap

Re: What are your favourite Nanjing restaurants? 2 years 2 months ago #23827

any restaurant which offers good food :beer:
Last Edit: 2 years 3 weeks ago by crazyearner.

Re: What are your favourite Nanjing restaurants? 2 years 2 months ago #23832

There's a spinning sushi chain shop with branches in Deiji Plaza, and also by the Zhujiang Lu metro station. The sushi is decent (nothing special) but the concept is cool, just sit down and start grabbing plates. 10 plates or so will cost around 60 RMB. Looks like this:

Attachment carousel.jpeg not found

• Anil
  • Alpha male
  • Thank you received: 24

Re: What are your favourite Nanjing restaurants? 2 years 2 months ago #23833

Anil wrote:
There's a spinning sushi chain shop with branches in Deiji Plaza, and also by the Zhujiang Lu metro station. The sushi is decent (nothing special) but the concept is cool, just sit down and start grabbing plates. 10 plates or so will cost around 60 RMB. Looks like this:

Attachment carousel.jpeg not found

Interestingly, the Zhujiang Lu branch is like 15 meters away from John Rabe's house... :whistle:
  • Anil
  • Alpha male
  • Thank you received: 24

Re: What are your favourite Nanjing restaurants? 2 years 2 months ago #23838

There's a branch of a sushi chain called Lvqian Shousi in the Wanda Plaza mall on Jiangdong Zhong Lu in Hexi. There are a number of Lvqian restaurants in Shanghai and Wanda Plaza is the only location I know of. They're pretty good and have a counter with sushi platters going by on a conveyor belt.
  • sam

Re: What are your favourite Nanjing restaurants? 2 years 2 months ago #23844

Hi!
I am still in Europe but next week I will arrive in Nanjing.:madness:
I am vegetarian (not vega) and I love the Indian cuisine, because it's very tasty and they have lot of vegetarian dishes. Nevertheless I cannot imagine to eat only Indian food in China. Chinese food is loved because of taste and variety and it must be a solution for people like me there. On the other hand it will be hard to explain "I would like to order s.th. vegetarian" in a common Chinese restaurant:dunno:
Maybe s.o. can help me???
  • espania

Re: What are your favourite Nanjing restaurants? 2 years 2 months ago #23845

It's not easy to be a vegetarian in China because meat, especially pork, is used in many dishes in the form of minced pork or soup stock made with pork bones.

There are a couple vegetarian restaurants in Nanjing. At other places you'll have to make it very clear that you are vegetarian by saying "I am vegetarian / 我吃素 / wo chi su" and "I don't eat meat / 我不吃肉 / wo bu chi rou".
  • sam

Re: What are your favourite Nanjing restaurants? 2 years 2 months ago #23847

Thank you for the help!
I try to put in my head this wo +-bu chi...and I hope to use such a tone that s.o. can understand me :fingerx:
  • espania

Re: What are your favourite Nanjing restaurants? 2 years 2 months ago #23899

My favz are
1) bakers pizza - Nice environment, Budget friendly on Hunan lu
2) Himalaya - for obvious reasons
3) Papa john's
  • Mike222

Re: What are your favourite Nanjing restaurants? 2 years 2 months ago #23900

When I can assemble enough people (.e two or more) I like to indulge in a small feast at the little Xinjiang restaurant on Shanghai Lu. The one at the bus stop, where u have to walk a couple of seps up to enter, just a few doors from Skyways bakery.

Depending on numbers, we order one, maybe two, big servings of the Da Pan Ji 大盘鸡. While we are waiting for it to be prepared, we duck down to Skyways and pick up, again, depending on numbers, one or two French sticks. While eating this feast, we break the bread and dip it into the gravy formed as the potatoes mesh in with the sauce.

I normally need a good hour or two nap after this meal.
  • Archie
  • Thank you received: 40

Re: What are your favourite Nanjing restaurants? 2 years 2 months ago #23902

Archie wrote:
When I can assemble enough people (.e two or more) I like to indulge in a small feast at the little Xinjiang restaurant on Shanghai Lu. The one at the bus stop, where u have to walk a couple of seps up to enter, just a few doors from Skyways bakery.

Depending on numbers, we order one, maybe two, big servings of the Da Pan Ji 大盘鸡. While we are waiting for it to be prepared, we duck down to Skyways and pick up, again, depending on numbers, one or two French sticks. While eating this feast, we break the bread and dip it into the gravy formed as the potatoes mesh in with the sauce.

I normally need a good hour or two nap after this meal.

good, I like 大盘鸡 too, the price for the big is 56 rmb in the xinjiang restaurant near my home,the price has gone up a lot of
  • MichaelSun
  • Board deity
  • Thank you received: 7

Re: What are your favourite Nanjing restaurants? 2 years 2 months ago #23936

MichaelSun wrote:
good, I like 大盘鸡 too, the price for the big is 56 rmb in the xinjiang restaurant near my home,the price has gone up a lot of

Well Michael, i have some VERY GOOD NEWS!!1! There is a new xinjiang shop (i mean new, less then a week old) in xinjiekou. It is still very clean and veg noodles start at only 5 RMB. And not only the price, the soup they use for the noodle is very tasteful, really nice (if you choose the 西北 soup off course). I didn't try their 大盘鸡, but it seems they have it.

You can find it in Xinjiekou, it is a small and dark alley at shigulu, opposite the golden eagle apartments garden (between wang fu da jie and mochou lu). From the street you can see the big blue sign over the alley starting with "西北", when you walk in you will find it after 50 meters on your right in a local neighborhood.
  • jaap
Moderators: mach5
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds

Site activity

3 users and 272 guests online