Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Nanjing Open Chat

Discuss anything pertaining to international living in Nanjing.

TOPIC: Info needed please!

Info needed please! 3 years 8 months ago #8070

Hello, I'm new to Hello Nanjing and was wondering if anyone could provide me with some information about life in Nanjing.

We have the opportunity to come to live in Nanjing in 2011, for at least 2 years with my husband's work. I really want to come to Nanjing and discover the city but am a bit concerned about a few things for my 2 young children.

I'd be grateful for any info you could give me concerning the following:

Is the pollution very bad in Nanjing?
How safe is it?
Where are the safest/least polluted areas of Nanjing to live?
How good are the international schools?
What are the best/worst things about life in Nanjing?

Thanks,

MacG
  • MacG
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Info needed please! 3 years 8 months ago #8071

MacG wrote:
Hello, I'm new to Hello Nanjing and was wondering if anyone could provide me with some information about life in Nanjing.

We have the opportunity to come to live in Nanjing in 2011, for at least 2 years with my husband's work. I really want to come to Nanjing and discover the city but am a bit concerned about a few things for my 2 young children.

How safe is it?

Thanks,

MacG

1. Yes, the pollution is bad, most days are very smoggy. It is not as bad as Shanghai, though.

2. Nanjing (like much of urban China) is very safe, you are lot likely to run into trouble (although it does happen, Google 'Pfrang Nanjing' to read of a family that got attacked and killed here).

3. I've no idea about international schools, except that they are pricey.

4. Best thing about Nanjing is the locals... very friendly. Worst thing is that there isn't much happening here except for bars and nightclubs... it gets a bit boring sometimes
  • the Gun

Re:Info needed please! 3 years 8 months ago #8075

1. Yes, the pollution is bad, most days are very smoggy. It is not as bad as Shanghai, though.

2. Nanjing (like much of urban China) is very safe, you are lot likely to run into trouble (although it does happen, Google 'Pfrang Nanjing' to read of a family that got attacked and killed here).

4. Best thing about Nanjing is the locals... very friendly. Worst thing is that there isn't much happening here except for bars and nightclubs... it gets a bit boring sometimes
  • MacG

Re:Info needed please! 3 years 8 months ago #8079

ah yo its diffs to get real american food here but me and my boys toby and scat have chili spam cook outs all the time yo. yu can get cheap wine too if yu know the score, imma making swoops on my 4th bottle today and its only like 4pm lol. all the loawai drink here too so yu can be chiill about being swatched over here, no one cares coz everyone is fresh like yogurt

peaec

dj snaz
join the nanjing freestyle rap n hard beats club so far we got me my boys fishsticks and tweet my man toby my dawg rivet and my humboy g-ice
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by dj_snazzy_darren.

Re:Info needed please! 3 years 8 months ago #8080

the Gun wrote:
MacG wrote:

How safe is it?

Thanks,

MacG

• Keyser Soze
  • Kingpin
  • Thank you received: 34

Re:Info needed please! 3 years 8 months ago #8085

1/I'm my view, the pollution isn't too bad here. It has actually improved a lot over the past couple of years due to the efforts of the government. I think it'll improve even more over the next couple of years too.

2/ Nanjing is unbelievably safe. I wouldn't recommend reading about the Pfrang incident as it was totally an isolated incident. The safety of Nanjing is one of my favourite aspects of living here. So different from living back home in Europe. U just don't need that sense of looking over your shoulder all the time and being on guard.

3/The nicest & most popular place to live (for expats) is JiangNing. It's south of the city and have a new metro line servicing the area.

4/ NIS,British School & Eton Kids are the 3 main international schools. All have a good reputation & facilities and range in price from 60,000 to 120,000RMB per year.

5/ I think there are loads of thing for a family to do here. There are also many foreign families living and enjoying it here.
Check out... www.nanjinginternationalclub.com/Nanjing.../Regular_Events.html

Good luck with your decision and if u need any more advice just let us know:)
  • Patric
  • Aristocrat
  • Thank you received: 5

Re:Info needed please! 3 years 8 months ago #8116

Patric wrote:
1/I'm my view, the pollution isn't too bad here. It has actually improved a lot over the past couple of years due to the efforts of the government. I think it'll improve even more over the next couple of years too.

Is the air clear enough for evening jogging?

Is it all concrete and sandlots, or are there parks and green around?

Re:Info needed please! 3 years 8 months ago #8118

I think the replies you have had are pretty good.

As Patric has said, the air pollution has improved over the last couple of years.

It depends on where you will live really.
Purple Mountain has De He ( Top Regent ) these are individual houses in a secure complex, a little bit pricey.
There are groups of foreign ladies here, who organise themselves into groups for sightseeing, massages, beauty treatments, etc they normally have something going on each day.

Jiangning is a developing area, where a lot of the foreign companies have choosen to set-up. Here are newer developments of housing suitable for expats. I am sure there are groups of ladies there doing something also.

Both areas are outside of downtown Nanjing, but the Metro, Taxis, etc are reasonably priced to get you anywhere you want to go.

There are parks all around Nanjing, with a few small parks doted around the outskirts of downtown.

Of the married ladies which I have known here, from UK, America, Germany and Holland, all have loved Nanjing and did not want to leave.
  • Gordon
  • Consultant
  • Thank you received: 11

Re:Info needed please! 3 years 8 months ago #8139

yo nanjing is hella grungy in lotsa places yu want hella clean citys in china yu should hit up hangzhou or swoop on suzhou like a dog on a bone yo

peace

dj snaz
join the nanjing freestyle rap n hard beats club so far we got me my boys fishsticks and tweet my man toby my dawg rivet and my humboy g-ice

Re:Info needed please! 3 years 8 months ago #8210

Patric wrote:

2/ Nanjing is unbelievably safe. I wouldn't recommend reading about the Pfrang incident as it was totally an isolated incident. The safety of Nanjing is one of my favourite aspects of living here. So different from living back home in Europe. U just don't need that sense of looking over your shoulder all the time and being on guard.

3/The nicest & most popular place to live (for expats) is JiangNing. It's south of the city and have a new metro line servicing the area.

4/ NIS,British School & Eton Kids are the 3 main international schools. All have a good reputation & facilities and range in price from 60,000 to 120,000RMB per year.

5/ I think there are loads of thing for a family to do here. There are also many foreign families living and enjoying it here.
Check out... www.nanjinginternationalclub.com/Nanjing.../Regular_Events.html

Good luck with your decision and if u need any more advice just let us know:)

Thank you Patric, Keyser Soze, dj_snazzy_darren, the Gun, Brandauer & Gordon for your replies. It's very useful to know which are the most popular, safest, least polluted etc areas to live. Like I say in an ideal world we'd come over and try and find out all of this stuff for ourselves, but unfortunately, we don't have the opportunity (or money) to do so and have to rely on information from people like you.

I will undoubtedly return and ask further questions.

Thanks again for the info, it's much appreciated!

Mac-G
  • MacG
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by MacG.

Re:Info needed please! 3 years 8 months ago #8215

Brandauer wrote:
Patric wrote:

Is the air clear enough for evening jogging?

Is it all concrete and sandlots, or are there parks and green around?

I live near purple mountain, and go running pretty much every evening there. Although there certainly are occasional days that play havoc on the lungs and stuff, all in all it's not bad at all!
  • globalroamer
  • Ron Turner
  • Thank you received: 2

Re: Info needed please! 3 years 8 months ago #8220

1. Generally China has the same level of pollution anywhere you go, and you can say it's hella bad pollution if compared to back home. But it's not something that you can't get over.

2. Nanjing is hella safe, at least compared to most parts of the US. I'm from a relatively safe place where cops get bored and come out of the bushes in the middle of night because you're driving 'too fast', but I think Nanjing is safe in a different way. A lot of my friends say they have no problem stumbling back home at 3am. But I still keep alert. It's true that there are people around even at the darkest hour of the night.

3. I seriously don't know. Most foreigners live in downtown though.

4. I heard the international schools are quite good. But I bumped into some high schoolers from one of the international schools in Nanjing and I was hella taken aback. I mean Nanjing is a place where you can get alcohol and drugs everywhere and these 16-year-olds were way crazier than most of their counterparts back home. But this is not about schools but rather more of a parent's thing.

5. It's always hard to define what is best or worst. But I really like the expat crowd in Nanjing where you can easily meet new people. However people find Nanjing too absorbing because of this reason as well, which might be frustrating sometime. Things I don't like about Nanjing are mostly traffic, food, pollution and some 'Chinese way' I'm not used to.
  • Jessica
  • Socialite
  • Jessica
  • Thank you received: 1
Moderators: mach5
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds

Site activity