Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Nanjing Open Chat

Discuss anything pertaining to international living in Nanjing.

TOPIC: Meeting foreigners

Re: Meeting foreigners 2 years 2 months ago #24315

unfortunately due to an unexpected change in my work schedule, I will not be able to make it to Jimmy's this Sunday evening-- @erik749 will also not be available, but of course other folks are welcome to go ahead and meet up for bowling/Jimmys and I will be there in spirit :) -- Bowling is always fun, so I'm looking forward to organizing a group meetup during the first or second weekend of March -- Brunch this past Sunday was a great success! Stay tuned for announcements about the next brunch that will most likely take place on a future Sunday in March -

Cheers!
  • misspolitica
  • Thank you received: 33
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Meeting foreigners 2 years 2 months ago #24322

I guess tonight is a no-go then...should we try for next Saturday night? Saturday the 25th...?

Re: Meeting foreigners 2 years 1 month ago #24435

Hey Katie,
I've been in NJ now for almost 5 months, I do like your words-really encouraging. I think NJ people are just fine but the majority are taking a step backward on contacting foreigners, I guess this's coz of language barriers but they are really welcoming foreigners in general. I remember when I first came here; I've been near xinjieko with a piece of paper with the address of "Bank of China" main branch .. but I didn't know to get there, so I started asking passing by people with no response, I think they thought I was asking for money ...haha. Untill finally I was lucky to meet some really fine lady who can speak English and she showed me the way - which was only 300 metres from where I was.
Finding local friends is really hard here Katie ...
My Deepest Regards,
  • King TUT

Re: Social networking opportunities in Nanjing? 2 years 1 month ago #24436

Lori wrote:
Misspolitica: I am really interested in going to Jimmy's Bar to meet some new people and talk about volunteering and meeting other foreigners here in Nanjing. I was a social worker in Canada and have come to Nanjing to teach ESL to kids. Can you let me know when a time and date has been finalized? I am very new to Nanjing (this is my 6th day) so have not taken the bus or anything yet. I will ask my coworkers if it is easy to get there from where I am living. My email is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Thanks:)
  • King TUT

Re: Meeting foreigners 2 years 1 month ago #24440

our city is neither shanghai nor hongkong,not even as open as some small neighbour cities.....it is true that people in nanjing are a little bit back ward to make friends with foreigners,and i think the language is the major problem,plus in nanjing there are so many exciting things to do. that makes it even harder for people to get socialized.even i saw many great people on hellonanjing try hard to organize activities,once things get going,not so many people actually show up.....we really should "push" all the people who want to have fun to get out of the house:wiggle: i know it might be a bit not so polite,but it might work :D
  • Katie
  • Thank you received: 6

Weekend Brunch Part Deux 1 year 11 months ago #25241

In an effort to revive the brunch concept, who's up for potluck-style brunch with mimosas on Saturday May 19th? I know that's a few weeks away, but it's nice to have something to look forward to right? Who's with me? :)
  • misspolitica

Re: Weekend Brunch Part Deux 1 year 11 months ago #25244

I am 100% with you
  • TOCHI2893
  • Thank you received: 1

Re: Meeting foreigners 1 year 11 months ago #25264

Hello!!! I'm from Spain and I've just arrived to Nanjing. I'll be here at least for the next 6 months and I would like to meet some expats cause my social life hasn't been great so far!!
I've seen you've written several places where expats use to go but I'd feel weird going to a bar alone and start talking to people. You know about chinese lessons for the weekend or people here studying chinese where I can learn the language and also meet people??
Thank youuu!!!

Re: Weekend Brunch Part Deux 1 year 11 months ago #25273

Hello; sign me in if so :yumyum: ... sounds interesting; and for sure would like to help if needed :)
  • King TUT

Re: Meeting foreigners 1 year 11 months ago #25274

nuria_spain wrote:
Hello!!! I'm from Spain and I've just arrived to Nanjing. I'll be here at least for the next 6 months and I would like to meet some expats cause my social life hasn't been great so far!!
I've seen you've written several places where expats use to go but I'd feel weird going to a bar alone and start talking to people. You know about chinese lessons for the weekend or people here studying chinese where I can learn the language and also meet people??
Thank youuu!!!

@nuria_spain; welcome to NJ. Beautiful city & kind people is what you'll find here ... hope you'll enjoy your stay here. As for expat community here; I recommend you check these listings in "Directory"...Jimmy's, Ciao Italia, Bluesky, Blue Marlin ..etc. where you'll get to meet some expats. Obviously there're lot of other places.
Learning Chinese .... check this post by "Katie"
www.hellonanjing.net/forum/2-nanjing-ope...-free-chinese-lesson
I think she already started Yesterday ...
Have a good stay in NJ ...:)
  • King TUT

Re: Meeting foreigners 1 year 11 months ago #25281

Hi! I am also new in Nanjing, also need to make friends and have some fun!
I have started my mandarim classes last week at New Concept. I am having particular classes because I didnt know anyone that wanted to join! It is on Friday and Saturday.

Lets do something here and make Nanjing more interesting!

:)

Re: Meeting foreigners 1 year 11 months ago #25282

Hey All,

There's a good chance that I'll be making the move from Taipei to Nanjing in the next few months. I was just wondering what the social scene/night life was like over there? I know some people in town already and they seem to really enjoy it but I'd love to branch out and meet some new people. Also, does anybody know if there is a Hash Kennel in town? We had a great HHH group when I was living in Xi'an and would love to get back involved. If there isn't one then I'd be curious to gauge people's interest in starting/getting involved with one. Thanks for any help and I look forward to seeing you guys around the city soon.

Cheers,
Ryan
  • rtg03d

Re: Meeting foreigners 1 year 11 months ago #25283

i'd be keen for this brunch idea. if you need a place to have it at i dont mind offering my place. i have seats for about 12 people and could easily fit in another 8-12 if people dont mind sitting on the floor :) . Only problem being its pretty far from xinjiekou so could be inconvenient for most people getting all the way out here. hope it happens anyway!
  • nzbrad

Re: Meeting foreigners 1 year 11 months ago #25291

Hi Ryan,

When you arrive in Nanjing just leave a message here!! At least I can show you some bars.

Re: Meeting foreigners 1 year 11 months ago #25299

@TOCHI2893 @KingTut you are both confirmed for brunch May 19 - pls send me a private message with your email addresses so I can send you directions to the location by email

@nzbrad We already have a location confirmed for the brunch May 19 - very nice apartment with a fabulous view, pls send me a private message asap if you would like to attend as we have limited space -- and thx for your offer to host! perhaps we can use your place for a future brunch event :-)

@nuria_spain and @maristuba would you like to join the brunch party? We need more ladies as mostly guys have signed up so far! Pls let me know ~
  • misspolitica

Re: Meeting foreigners 1 year 11 months ago #25300

@misspolitica: James and I are game, is there room for us? I can bake some cookies to bring along.

@rtg03d: There is an HHH group here, I went on the run with them last weekend, lots of fun! Let me know if you want details about it! Or if you want to meet up when you get to Nanjing, here's my QQ: 2356252462.

Re: Meeting foreigners 1 year 11 months ago #25301

Hi @misspolitica! I donpt know about May 19 yet! But thanks for invitation. As soon as i can I will give you a confirmation.

Re: Meeting foreigners 1 year 11 months ago #25310

hii, if u want to improve chinese plz talk with local people as much u can ,don't feel shy with them and most of them very friendly.if u feel weird going to bar ,u can go to many places ,or else visit some schools or university students to improve ur chinese..
  • naseer12345
  • Board deity
  • Thank you received: 30

Re: Meeting foreigners 1 year 11 months ago #25315

Thanks for the heads up Connie and James
  • rtg03d

Re: Meeting foreigners 1 year 11 months ago #25371

we can meet This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Moderators: mach5
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds

Site activity