Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Syphilis soars in China

Syphilis soars in China 3 years 11 months ago #3907

Syphilis, a sexually transmitted infection (STI) that was nearly eliminated from China 50 years ago, is now the most commonly reported communicable disease in Shanghai, China's largest city.

No other country has seen such a precipitous increase in reported syphilis cases in the penicillin era. In 2008, an average of more than 1 baby per hour was born with congenital syphilis in China, for a total of 9480 cases; the rate had increased by a factor of 12 during the previous 5 years.

A disease with social roots, syphilis has become a major scourge lurking in the shadows of a country that has rapidly ascended to the status of a global economic powerhouse.

The article goes on to speculate as to the cause: "After China's economy became increasingly market-based in the 1980s, the growing numbers of Chinese businessmen with money and young women without money translated into expanded demand and supply for the country's commercial sex industry."

link
  • ProTeacher
  • Aristocrat
  • Thank you received: 2
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Syphilis soars in China 3 years 11 months ago #3925

Capitalism = syphilis? Interesting correlation.

A female student yesterday told me teacher friend that she has herpes on her mouth. I this something you'd tell anyone except for your closest friends, or is this something that Chinese people have no problems discussing?
  • Archie
  • Thank you received: 40

Re:Syphilis soars in China 3 years 11 months ago #3927

Archie wrote:

A female student yesterday told me teacher friend that she has herpes on her mouth. I this something you'd tell anyone except for your closest friends, or is this something that Chinese people have no problems discussing?

Well, there are different kinds of herpes. (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herpesviridae) Doesn't have to be the sexual transmitted one. (genital herpes)

For example, Shingles are also a form of herpes (herpes zoster) which is not contagious and a result of having had chickenpox as a child. The virus never leaves the body and can return randomly giving you herpes rash or blisters.
  • Erik749
  • Thank you received: 15
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through

Re:Syphilis soars in China 3 years 11 months ago #3928

Erik749 wrote:
Archie wrote:

Well, there are different kinds of herpes. (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herpesviridae) Doesn't have to be necessarily from sexual contact, she might have gotten it from her mother as a baby for example.

An example,Shingles are also a form of herpes (herpes zoster) which is not contagious and a result of having had chickenpox as a child. The virus never leaves the body and can return randomly giving you herpes rash or blisters.
  • Erik749
  • Thank you received: 15
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through
Last Edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Erik749.
Moderators: mach5
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds

Site activity

0 users and 269 guests online