Hello Nanjing

Switch to desktop Register Login

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Do you find "Yellow fever" an offensive term?

Do you find "Yellow fever" an offensive term? 5 years 2 months ago #3299

  • Brian
  • Brian's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Junior member
  • Posts: 23
  • Karma: 1
A discussion with the friend recently led to him concluding that the term "Yellow Fever" is a racist and offensive term, which should not be used.

FYI, this term refers to the tendency of foreign guys to come to Asia and get addicted to the appeal of Asian women. Since the generalized skin color for Asians is yellow (even though many of them are not) the term "yellow fever" started getting used to mean guys hooked on Asian girls.

Personally I dont find it offensive at all. I see nothing mean spirited or derogratory about it, it simply refers to the general physical appearance of a group of people.

So I didn't really get his point, what's the problem with it? :dunno:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Do you find 5 years 2 months ago #3305

Brian wrote:
FYI, this term refers to the tendency of foreign guys to come to Asia and get addicted to the appeal of Asian women. Since the generalized skin color for Asians is yellow (even though many of them are not) the term "yellow fever" started getting used to mean guys hooked on Asian girls.

yeah, i do have problem with that, what about another way around.. on Asian guys?! :grin: i just used this term on other post few days ago. hahaha :lulz:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Do you find "Yellow fever" an offensive term? 5 years 2 months ago #3390

If you find this offensive, you're a fucking bitch. Pretty simple.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Do you find 5 years 2 months ago #3395

TastyHotDog wrote:
If you find this offensive, you're a fucking bitch. Pretty simple.

excuse me, what r u bitching about?!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Do you find 5 years 2 months ago #3396

  • Mr. Anderson
  • Mr. Anderson's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Junior member
  • Posts: 19
  • Thank you received: 1
  • Karma: 0
TastyHotDog wrote:
If you find this offensive, you're a fucking bitch. Pretty simple.

Agreed, the whole politically correct thing is a tool for the mindless to brand things as unacceptable without having to use their soddled brains.

I am sure some sheep out there find the term offensive, but putting aside those useless eaters, I bet most intelligent adults can focus on the context behind the words
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Do you find 5 years 2 months ago #3399

  • Jessica
  • Jessica's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Socialite
  • Jessica
  • Posts: 952
  • Thank you received: 1
  • Karma: 25
Some might feel uncomfortable when someone says 'yellow' or 'chink' and accuse him of racism. But the reason why such words are offensive to some people is that they were told by others that these words are bad since there were some contexts attached long time ago. Raised in San Ramon I'm less sensitive to racism than Asians brought up in the city. Therefore the whole thing is relative and depends on personal experience.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Do you find 5 years 2 months ago #3402

  • monkeynuts
  • monkeynuts's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Artist
  • Posts: 686
  • Thank you received: 2
  • Karma: 23
mr anderson...coodoes on wording your opinion in the way of your namesake. i hereby karma you and pop your cherry (*bing*), i love popping them cherries.

i agree with your comments. it is all relative to how and when you say it. txting and email however are sometimes tricky as sometimes its difficult to ascertain how people are saying it though.

didnt we have this thread already though...?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Do you find 5 years 2 months ago #3415

Jessica wrote:
Some might feel uncomfortable when someone says 'yellow' or 'chink' and accuse him of racism. But the reason why such words are offensive to some people is that they were told by others that these words are bad since there were some contexts attached long time ago. Raised in San Ramon I'm less sensitive to racism than Asians brought up in the city. Therefore the whole thing is relative and depends on personal experience.

"Chink" is even worse, it is never a polite term in any content from where i lived, NZ! it is not just from told by others, but when you heard it shout out from someone's mouth "HI, CHINK!" IT IS SUCH OFFENSIVE! with the the looking down on you attitude.
i think to be called "Asian" or "Chinese" is more comfortable to most Asians and Chinese in anywhere.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Do you find 5 years 2 months ago #3418

  • Jessica
  • Jessica's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Socialite
  • Jessica
  • Posts: 952
  • Thank you received: 1
  • Karma: 25
Leoandbluesky, I didn't say 'chink' is not offensive. But what about a Chinese calling another Chinese 'chink'?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Do you find 5 years 2 months ago #3420

  • monkeynuts
  • monkeynuts's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Artist
  • Posts: 686
  • Thank you received: 2
  • Karma: 23
i lived in new zealand for quite a few years so i understand. i am south african originally and as soon as they found out my nationality they would call me a racist and refuse to talk to me but i found that they were way more racist than most of the south africans i know. especially in auckland for asians. i remember from a previous post you made that you lived there.
from what other jaffas told me they were concerned with asian people taking over their country. when you walk along queen st from k road to the ferry there were so many asians but i dont think they realized that thats where all the english schools were and the people they saw were normally only here for a few months.
i saw some terrible abuse, the worse of which was some west auckland boy racers trying to mow down an elderly asian couple and yelling for them to go back to their own country.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Do you find 5 years 2 months ago #3421

  • monkeynuts
  • monkeynuts's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Artist
  • Posts: 686
  • Thank you received: 2
  • Karma: 23
i think its kinda funny in some ways because they have found some evidence that might show that chinese people were there before the moaris from the ming dynasty.
in the stories they say how there were people in new zealand when they arrived and they gathered all these people and put them on an island. when there was a special festival or occassion they would get a few of them and eat them
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Do you find 5 years 2 months ago #3424

Jessica wrote:
Leoandbluesky, I didn't say 'chink' is not offensive. But what about a Chinese calling another Chinese 'chink'?

i cannt tell, i never called other Chinese in this term so no other Chinese call me that.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Do you find 5 years 2 months ago #3429

monkeynuts wrote:
i lived in new zealand for quite a few years so i understand. i am south african originally and as soon as they found out my nationality they would call me a racist and refuse to talk to me but i found that they were way more racist than most of the south africans i know. especially in auckland for asians. i remember from a previous post you made that you lived there.
from what other jaffas told me they were concerned with asian people taking over their country. when you walk along queen st from k road to the ferry there were so many asians but i dont think they realized that thats where all the english schools were and the people they saw were normally only here for a few months.
i saw some terrible abuse, the worse of which was some west auckland boy racers trying to mow down an elderly asian couple and yelling for them to go back to their own country.

Well, I don
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: mach5
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum  Protected by R Antispam

Copyright 2015, SinoConnexion Ltd. No part of this website (images or text) may be reproduced without prior permission.

Top Desktop version